Sorry about the crap quality of this tutorial but im terrible at explaining things, and also i didnt take any pictures of the process since I lack a camera and some of the things were done very last minute
Anywho, I started off by buying two styrofoam cones (like these) and a pack of six floral foam/ waterfoam bricks.
I found the part of the cone that would be about the thickness I wanted the base of my horn to be. Remember to keep it on the thin side, since theyll be a bit thicker after you apply the clay.
Cut off the excess tip and carve the cone down into a cylinder. If you get the one I got, youll want to cut some off since at this point, it’s way too long. The floral foam will also be adding some length, keep that in mind. (also i suggest going smaller than mine since we had some weight issues)
Now for the floral foam. Take three of the bricks (or however many you want, i made my curves tall) and draw the shape of the curve you want. For me the base of the horn was about the height of one brick, but your drawn on shape will vary depending on the width of your base.) Now glue the pieces together. Keep the glue away from the edges of where the refined horn shape will be!! a quarter sized spot of tacky glue should do the trick. I drew a line in red to show you the area where it would be safe to apply glue. Let it dry for at least 24 hours (it took about a day and a half for me but i left em in a spot without much air flow oops so id be careful. If you have time, let it dry longer) Once dry,Cut everything out a bit bigger than the drawn on shape. I used a regular paring knife for this since it cuts super easy. At this point you’ll want to draw the shape of the outer edge of the horn. It’ll look sorta like a triangle.
Cut off the excess. Remember to make sure its a bit wider than the base of your horn or it’ll turn out all wonky!
Now glue that part to the base. I had trouble getting the tacky glue to stick to the styrofoam so I ended up using hot glue for this part. Make sure to apply a good amount of pressure (not enough to break the soft foam though) so that you dont get a weird space between the base and the curve!
Once thats completely dry, you can shape the floral foam with your hands to the desired shape, plus it makes em really smooth and nice!
Heres the part where I can’t really dictate what you do since Im not really too happy with the way i did this part.
I used model magic to cover my horns. I made a “snake” and curled it around over and over until the horn was covered, all while applying pressure to flatten it out a bit. I did this in an attempt to make sure the layer was even but it ended up not sanding out right and i ended up with weird line indents on my horns ; 3 ;
I also ran out of model magic and ended up having to cover the very tips of my horns with paperclay, which actually ended up being useful and a good idea.
My advice is to make your horns a bit shorter and thinner than mine (tbh theyre pretty nuts in terms of size) and cover them in just straight up paperclay. It wont shrink and crack (which model magic is known for doing…/stares at horns worriedly) from what i can tell, plus it works well on thinner parts since it doesnt break nearly as easy as model magic!
Remember to cover the part of the horn that attaches to the headband with paperclay too! I didn’t do that friday of ikkicon and my horns started to sag because the anchor got loose. We fixed that and they were fine on saturday! (thank you Katie ; U ;)
As for painting and that jazz, thats up to you. You can do the stripes like i did, you can do a gradient, its all up to you! O:
I attached them by putting an anchor in the horn and screws in the headband. I’d have a friend mark the headband for you so you can get them positioned correctly.
If you put the headband on and the screws seem to be angled slightly upward, don’t panic! It’s ok! It’s supposed to be that way! The horns weigh it down and it balances out = w =
Im sorry this post is so long and im sorry that my post is terribly worded but I hope this helps someone ; U ;
If you want to see pictures of my horns in action, i suggest you look at my Rufioh cosplaysince i wore them and they werent falling off that day haha!
- starshinethecat1 likes this
- lilcalseesall likes this
- artisticequinox likes this
- avantasvendor likes this
- heavenlyserpent likes this
- christmas-at-the-lal0ndes likes this
- captainzappy reblogged this from sickasshomestuckcosplayhelp and added:
- a2kandyoumiightbe2urprii2ed likes this
- miac015 likes this
- gulablejoker likes this
- jadenmakesstuff likes this
- sweetestprince likes this
- teufortkid likes this
- lordstarscream likes this
- loki-mischief-lover likes this
- imtheavatardealwithit likes this
- the-mav-reviewer reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- the-mav-reviewer likes this
- homestuck-and-stuff likes this
- shipperofships likes this
- deckthehallsb4uwreckthehalls reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- furprince reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- ghost-likefaun likes this
- kitsunekaitosai reblogged this from thecometobservatory
- sosugoibro likes this
- thecometobservatory reblogged this from sickasshomestuckcosplayhelp
- beautifuldelusionaldream likes this
- mmspectreon likes this
- maidofcosplay likes this
- sickasshomestuckcosplayhelp reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- lesleaf likes this
- roxas-x likes this
- dragoncalibrator reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- dragoncalibrator likes this
- dogsinskirts reblogged this from dyke-hime
- nightmaresradmohawk likes this
- nerdjam likes this
- dyke-hime reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- gamzeehonksmakara reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- nubbyqueen reblogged this from gamtavtier
- gamtavtier reblogged this from tanaka-gundam
- ninnywizard likes this
- freakingvantastic likes this
- xvampirekimx likes this
- pygmysylph likes this
- bootyofgamkurlin likes this
- bootyofgamkurlin said:THIS IS SO HELPFUL THANK
- admiral-nepeta likes this
- cosmicquarks likes this